Douglas-Coldwell Foundation Board Meeting
March 15, 2007 Board meeting
300-279 Laurier Ave W
Download the PDF
9:08 a.m. Board Meeting declared open by Tessa Hebb
Erin Armstrong (Guest)
Éric Hébert-Daly (Guest)
Howard Leeson (Guest)
Dick Proctor (Guest)
1. Approval of Minutes of November 16th, 2006 Board Meeting
3. President’s Report
Motion to carry President’s report, Secretary’s Report and Treasurer’s Report to the AGM immediately following this meeting.
4. Secretary’s Report
see # 3 President’s Report
5. Treasurer’s Report
see # 3 President’s Report
6. By-laws Review and Updates
Suggestions were made to be brought forward to the membership for the 2008 AGM – membership will be notified by mail with their AGM notices
Immediate Administrative Changes to be brought forth to this year’s AGM:
Changes to “Rules and Regulations – as amended”
Fees and Dues:
1. Fees and Dues
1.1 An Individual Lifetime Member shall pay a one-time due of $1,000.00
1.2 An Individual Annual Member shall pay minimum annual membership dues of $60.00
1.3 A Youth (26 years of age and under) Individual Annual Member shall pay minimum annual membership dues of $12.00
1.4 An Association Annual Member shall pay minimum annual membership dues of $100.00
2. Head Office
2.1 The head office of the Corporation shall be located at 300-279 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa, ON, K1P 5J9
3.1 Each Director shall be paid the following expenses for attendance at Board Meetings and, if he or she is a member of the Executive or other Committee, at each meeting thereof:
3.1.1 The most economical return train, bus or airfare
3.1.2 Transportation as required to and from airport and for airport parking
3.1.3 If driving, kilometer reimbursement as per the Treasury Board guidelines
3.1.4 Single hotel room including taxes
3.1.5 Meals and personal expenses up to the daily maximum as per the Treasury Board guidelines
Motion: To bring forth the suggested changes to the members at the 2008 AGM and to bring forth the Administrative changes to the 2007 AGM for approval.
7. New Project Requests
New Project committee in the past has been Tessa Hebb and Ted Jackson (who has stepped down from the Board)
Breakdown of applications:
Concordia University - Karl Polanyi Institute of Political Economy
- They are doing a conference on distinguished lectures series
- Requesting $10,500
- We have supported them previously 3 years ago.
Saskatchewan Archaeological Society - The Zenon Pohorecky Memorial Fund
- looking for $8,000 to establish a yearly scholarship fund.
- very worthwhile project
- recommended to grant $500 (one time gift only) for this year while they establish the scholarship.
John Burton - Potash Publication
- looking for funds to assist him with his publication of a book on the potash industry
- request for funding was for assistance with research – our policy is to give grants to the “publisher” to assist with publishing not for honourariums, salaries, etc of the writers.
Daily Bread Food Bank
- request not directed towards our mandate of “promoting education and research in social democracy”
Youth Activist Retreat
- have applied several times now including the 2006 Douglas-Coldwell Foundation award
- when we revised our mission statement a few years ago – it was decided to get Youth more involved in our mandate.
- recommended to support this project for $3,000 (not to be used for honourariums) and ask to be in the branding of the program – send our posters for participants and ask that a member of the Board be asked to speak at one of the luncheons.
Community Ownership Solutions
- we have funded them in the past
- they also applied for the 2006 Douglas-Coldwell Foundation award
- when they applied last year it was very specific, this time the request is too broad.
The Elizabeth Wiebe Society for Orphan Children in Canada
- unfortunately not specific enough for us
The Alberta Métis Letters: 1930-1940 policy review and annotations
- unfortunately not targeted towards our mandate of promoting education and research in social democracy
Motion: Of the project requests we received, we will send letters of regret to Concordia University, John Burton, Daily Bread Food Bank, The Elizabeth Wiebe Society , Community Ownership Solutions and the Alberta Métis Letters - Letting them know we have expended our resources for 2007. We will support the Youth Activist Retreat for $3,000 and ask that we be listed as a sponsor and be invited to a luncheon and we will support the Saskatchewan Archaeological Society for a one time grant of $500 commending them on setting up this scholarship.
8. Fund for Global Survival – George Crowell Presentation to the Board at 10 a.m.
George Crowell joined the Board Meeting to discuss his proposal
Discussion amongst the Board and George took place to fully understand the proposal.
Motion put forth by Anne: That the Officers of the DCF will convene a sub-committee to discuss further the Fund being proposed and its implications on the Foundation.
Tessa thanked George for coming to the meeting.
9. Scholarship Report
All scholarships have been granted this year except for the University of Regina.
10. Nomination Committee Report
Tessa indicated to the Board in November 2006 that she was going to step down as President of the DCF but would remain on the Board of Directors as Past-President.
Ted Jackson, Jill Marzetti and Robert Needham have also resigned from the DCF Board of Directors. Tessa would like to thank them all for their many years of service on the DCF Board of Directors.
Motion to send a letter of thanks to Ted, Jill and Robert for their many years of service.
To replace these three positions the following names have been brought forth to give us more coverage across the country.
Dick Proctor – British Columbia
Howard Leeson – Saskatchewan
Erin Armstrong – Ottawa
In addition David Mackenzie has agreed to have his name go forward for President, Frank Saptel as Vice President, Anne Scotton as Executive Secretary and Pat Kerwin as Treasurer.
Motion by Anne Scotton: That this recommendation of the three new Board member positions be adopted at the AGM.
In addition Ed Broadbent and Shirley Douglas have agreed to come on as Honorary Patrons.
11. New Business
Pat Kerwin discussed the success of the SOS Medicare 2 conference that we gave a grant of $25,000 to and let everyone know we’ll keep the results of the conference updated on our web site
Date of Thursday November 22, 2007 at 11:30 a.m. ET for the next Board Meeting.
Motion to Adjourn meeting at 11:15 am.